Sunday, November 6, 2011

What I Like About You

So Monster week is over, but the lessons remain.  At the beginning of the week I read a book to the children called Most Loved Monster by Lynn Downey.  In it a Mamma monster puts all four of her baby monsters to bed by telling them what makes each of them uniquely special.  Of course it's funny because what makes you special in monster world is not exactly the same as human world.  Afterwards I gathered my students around and one by one had each stand with me in front.  I asked the remaining students to say what they liked best about the student standing with me (not necessarily what made them special, because at such a young age a child may be singled out for a disability rather than a quality).  I wrote down each child's answers on a chart to hang in the class.

I'm sure many of you have heard of this lesson in different formats.  Who can hold back the sap tears when reading of the teacher who did this with her elementary students, giving each child their own page of notebook paper, and finding out twenty years later that most of her students not only have kept their pages but carry them everyday?  It's an easily expandable and adaptable lesson that may carry a bigger impact than you ever imagine.  Personally I was surprised and delighted to hear my students complimenting each other for the rest of the day, a few of them are still doing it weeks later!

The Most Loved Monster book is a great jumping off point, but incase monsters aren't really your thing I've heard that the book You're All My Favorites by Sam McBratney has a very similar theme using forest animals.  Whatever book you choose to use I truly believe this is a lesson that should be used as soon and as often as possible.

Teach On!

No comments:

Post a Comment